Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Morning Walk

Yesterday I took my camera along on our morning walk and managed to capture some photos of the pelicans that have been eating their breakfast in our lake. There have been probably 8 or 10 of them each morning for the past few days. The fish supply must be dwindling fast. I wonder how much longer these majestic birds will grace us with their presence.

American White Pelicans (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)

No, this next one is not a two-headed pelican! It’s two birds swimming side by side. Pelicans work together to surround and corner fish. Then they dunk their heads in the water and scoop up the food with their bills.

When my dad and I left our house that morning, the sky was relatively clear, but by the time we arrived about three-fourths of the way around the lake, it started sprinkling on us. This gave us a pretty rainbow stretching all the way across the sky.

Genesis 9:11-17 (Authorized KJV)

“And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy,

I didn't know you have a nature blog. It is really very pretty. You have done a great job. I like the Bible verses, too.

Thanks for the comments! I am glad that you like my book (so far!) I will tell you when I get around to getting it published. (It will be some time yet, because I have only written about fifty thousand words)and then maybe you might want to read it!

Good luck on your book! I think that is a very worthy subject that needs more books focusing on it. I am sure it will be very encouraging to young girls!

Sincerely,
Raora

P.S. My mom (and I, a little bit) have been running a nature blog this summer at crammed-with-heaven.blogspot.com You might want to check it out.

Jenn4Him said...

Great pictures & a wonderful verse.
Jenn4him
www.homeschoolblogger.com/happycamper

Elizabeth Pruett said...

Beautiful! I am not sure I have ever seen a pelican up close. Enjoy!

Promise Christian Academy said...

Beautiful! I so enjoy a rainbow...
Hilda Rebecca